A crockpot beef stew was requested shortly after my husband and I were married.
Challenge accepted! Two years and dozens of crockpot beef stew recipes later finally led to my signature beef stew – and a well-fed man.
All jokes aside, my collection of attempted crockpot beef stew recipes were inadequately prepared for my husband’s – and toddler! – love of meat and flavor. And ya’ll know we love our flavor! The secret? RED WINE. How amazing – a liquid that adds flavor to the pot and satisfies my thirst. It’s a win-win!
So behold! My most trusted crockpot beef stew recipe that will surely impress your family and friends. Let me know if you have a secret or special ingredient that you add to your crockpot beef stew, too!
TOTAL TIME: Prep Time: 30 minutes; Cook Time: 6-8 hours, LOW temperature on the crockpot
MAKES: 6 servings
- 2 pounds of pot roast tips
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground salt
- ½ teaspoon ground and dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- 1 pound of whole small red potatoes
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups dry red wine
- Place beef tips in a bowl. Add salt, oregano, garlic, black pepper, and flour. Mix.
- Heat oil for 2 minutes in large skillet over medium heat.
- Spread beef tips evenly in skillet. Cook tips – on each side – until well-browned, about 6-8 minutes on each side.
- Remove beef tips and place in large crockpot.
- Don’t clean skillet and add wine. Gently stir for 4 minutes on medium heat until the liquid turns into a simmer. Turn off and leave aside.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, and broth in crockpot. Mix gently. Then, pour wine broth over ingredients. Mix gently again.
- Add bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. HIGH for 4 hours.
Serve and enjoy with the remaining red wine!
Join the Community!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.